Sunday, May 29, 2005

Lots of News

So many things have happened since my last update. I'm not even sure where to begin. Spencer finally hit the three pound mark on Friday and, as of this morning, is 1400 grams (3 lbs. 1.2 oz.). Aunt Gali held him for the first time this week. It's very meaningful that my sister is so involved in my babies' lives; I have always admired her as a mother. But my brother-in-law was the one to coax smiles out of Spencer; I just know my boys are going to adore their Uncle Steve, the "gentle giant."

Alex finally got a "house" (that's what I like to call their isolettes) this week. I've been pushing for this for awhile, because he's so sensitive to light and sound. The isolette really helps. His primary nurse, Ruby, is back after a long vacation. We really missed her. She surprised me tonight by putting clothes on him for the very first time. Alex looked so cute and the outfit fit him just right. He's my chunky monkey now.

The surgeon is going to look at Alex on Tuesday to evaluate him for the surgery to remove his ostomy and reconnect his bowels. Unfortunately, Alex has developed an infection in his lungs, and they won't do surgery while he is sick. He is being given antibiotics and seems to be feeling a little better today than he was yesterday. He is on full feeds and off IV support, finally, but they will wait to remove his IV until after the surgery. He will also stay on the ventilator until after his surgery. Hopefully I'll know more this week about when that will be. I know he's going to get better quickly; because he's a little fighter who consistently surprises everyone with his speedy progress.

Spencer will be 33 weeks tomorrow. Tonight the nurse allowed me to let him explore my breast. I expressed a few drops of milk for him. He licked and sucked a little, not enough to actually nurse, of course, but it was a good "introduction" to the breast. And it was so exciting for me!

No comments: