Friday, May 06, 2005

Friday, May 6th

Spencer was extubated and put on CPAP at about 10:30 this morning. He seems to be doing well with it. Several other parents had told me "You won't be able to see his face once he's on CPAP," but I can see his eyes and his mouth. I love seeing his little mouth and tongue; they have been hidden by the bone that held his ET tube in place. Hearing him is incredible. He doesn't make a lot of noise yet (tiny squeaks escape when he's crying) but it's the beginning of hearing his voice. I gave Spencer a pacifier for the first time today and he did well with it. I made sure that he had it for his 6:00 feeding, so that he would begin associating sucking with being fed. I'm hoping that this will make the transition from tube to bottle/breast feeding a little easier for him.

No comments: