Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Spencer has been undergoing a six channel reflux study since about 9:00 PM last night. He had two apneas during feeds in the wee hours of the morning. The study takes 24 hours, but I don't know how long it takes to get the results. I do know that I'll be insisting on an apnea monitor when is released again.

One of the blessings that has come from Spencer being readmitted to the hospital is that they are going to do his hernia surgery while he is there. He is scheduled for 9:40 tomorrow morning. I'm a little nervous because he's never been under anesthesia before. Hopefully he'll tolerate it okay.

Alex is exclusively breastfeeding when I can be there to feed him. He is a monster at the breast. I'm thrilled! The nurse practitioner in charge of the intermediate nurseries asked me today if I'd be willing to take him home before his intestines are reconnected, because he is pretty much ready to go and they're not sure how soon they'll be able to get the surgery done. I said "Sure." I've been emptying out his ostomy bag lately and I'm sure I can learn how to change it. We'll know tomorrow morning if they can do the surgery Friday. If not, he'll be coming home this weekend. They'll send him home on oxygen and a pulse oximeter and heart rate monitor. It will be cumbersome, but I'll deal with it. He's such an awake, interactive baby. He'll be so much fun to have at home. After he ate today he was still awake and fussing, so I hung this musical, light-up mirror on his crib. He just stared at himself in the mirror. I was amazed by how intent he was.

No comments: