Thursday, April 14, 2005

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Alex and Spencer are two weeks old today, but their gestational age is only 26 weeks + 3 days. It's hard to believe it's been two weeks since I gave birth. It feels like one long day with lots of naps. I'm healing well from surgery, but I still tire easily and have my crying jags. Fortunately I have wonderful support from my friends and family. They'll let me cry on their shoulders until I get it out of my system. I'm so thankful for them, and for their thoughts and prayers. All that positive energy is making a difference; the boys are doing well.

Spencer was switched to a conventional ventilator today, his first step on the long road to breathing on his own. His infection is completely gone. He is being fed regularly again, and is tolerating his feedings well. He is very active, just as he was in the womb (Spencer's the boy that moved overnight and gave me stretch marks in my upper abdomen). He reacts so much to the action around him that his nurse put a blindfold and earmuffs on him to try and keep him calm. Nosey boy! Is this a sign of things to come??

Alex is healing up well from his surgery; the doctors are very pleased. He has stool in his ostomy bag, which is a great sign. Hopefully he'll be able to resume feedings soon. Although he's still on morphine to keep him comfortable, he is managing to keep his nurses busy with lots of activity. He has opened both his beautiful blue eyes now, and loves to gaze at me as I sing to him. My blue-eyed blondie bear has captured my heart.

No comments: