Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sunday, April 10th

It's hard to believe the boys are 10 days old already. The last 10 days feel like one long, continuous day. I am on a roller coaster ride that's sure to last for at least the next four months.

Alex has been sick with an infection and his bowels had shut down. The doctors have been keeping a very close eye on his belly, and yesterday morning they found free air in his abdomen, which meant there was a opening somewhere in his bowels. They called me at 8:30 AM to tell me that they were going to have to do emergency surgery. They would open Alex's belly, assess the damage, fix it if possible, or close him back up. I knew what they were saying when they said if the damage was too bad they would just close him back up. I was so frightened....beyond anything I can express in words. Alex went into surgery at about 11 AM and we didn't hear anything for hours. Just before 3:00 we got word that he was out of surgery and had come through fine. The doctors expected worse, based on his appearance, but when they got in there they found that he had just one small perforation in his bowels. He is such a miracle; he keeps showing me how strong he is. He is doing so well today: his stats are stable and even though he is drugged up on morphine he is responding to my voice and touch, even trying to open his eyes.

Then I got the news that Spencer may be coming down with an infection. At first I nearly fainted, but then I realized, this is going to be my life for the next four months. It's going to be one thing after another. Being the mother of twin premies is going to bring a lot of stress and worry, but I know that my boys are going to make it and that they're going to bring me lots of joy, too. They are so strong. They each have their personalities. They are little miracles, my blondie bears. I am so grateful for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Heather! Nicole called and informed me you'd had the boys, but I didn't have any more info than that! They are beautiful, that's for sure! You all are in my prayers!
Good choice of names, too!

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I've been thinking and praying for the boys and for you. I ask God that you have the strength to get through this. You have two little beautiful boys and if they are anything like you, they will pull through. Keep the faith.
If you need anything please let me know.
Give the boys kisses from me and Amaya.

Love you all, Vel