Friday, May 26, 2006

I've lost count of the number of times we've been to the pediatrician in the last two weeks. Let's see: last Monday for the boys' allergies; back on Thursday for a fever and cough for Spencer, which resulted in a two day hospital stay for aspiration pneumonia; back on Monday for follow-up for both, which led to a diagnosis of an ear infection for Alex; and now, we're going back today because they both have rashes on their trunks. They were supposed to go see the developmental pediatrician today, but I had to cancel that because it's possible that whatever is causing this rash is contagious. Right now both boys are on antibiotics, Spencer is on a new medication to help his reflux, Alex's breathing treatments have been beefed up because he's been wheezing...I have to have a chart to keep up with it all! Fortunately, both boys are doing much better than they were. I really thought we were on our way back to normal, but then this rash manifested itself. The most important thing is that Alex and Spencer seem happy. I can't really ask for more than that, can I?

I watched the movie Little Man this past week. It's a documentary about a micro-preemie and his family. It paints a very accurate picture of life in the NICU, and of the effects having a preemie has on a family. The film was both painful and joyful to watch. Two years ago it would have bothered me to see some of the images in the film; now I see how absolutely beautiful this child is, what a miracle he is. Watching the film brought me back to the faith I relied upon when Alex and Spencer were in the NICU, and it reminded me of just how lucky I am that they are doing so well.

No comments: