Sunday, November 13, 2005

E.R.

I was watching a rerun of 'E.R.' today while I was feeding the boys. They were treating a woman who was 24 weeks pregnant whose labor they could not stop. The woman told them she didn't want to have a preemie because her sister had given birth to a premature baby who was in the hospital for months and didn't make it. Several of the doctors supported her view, saying that the baby had a 10% chance at a normal life, and that they shouldn't throw hundreds of thousands of dollars away to try to save one baby who would probably have a very poor quality of life when they could be using those resources to treat other children. It upset me so much to hear these opinions voiced as I sat there holding my two 24 weekers who are now very healthy and normal. I suppose there are many people out there who share the viewpoints that some of the characters on the show expressed. Perhaps they consider their philosophies pragmatic, however I would label them as pessimistic and negative. I believe in miracles, and I have two beautiful boys to prove that miracles really do happen!

4 comments:

CINDY said...

I agree with you. I hope you are blessed to the fullest. I can't imagine not have beautiful twin granddaughters. www.twinsaregrand.typepad.com

Carly said...

I despise EVERYTHING about that show... especially the one where Mark Green handled a pregnancy emergency so badly that the mother died in the end.

JennX said...

You were blessed with two miracles because you were able to recognize them when they presented themselves. I pray for those who dont' have that insight.

Anonymous said...

I too believe in miracles! I have 2 of them as well! I think it is so sad that people lose hope so quickly and choose not to give tiny preemies the chance to show how much they want to live and be loved.